A sore throat is usually caused by an inflammation of the tonsils, larynx or pharynx and can be painful and uncomfortable and is one of the most common medical complaints and some of the most common causes of a sore throat are:
Sinus drainage: If you have a sinus infection, you may develop a sore throat, especially in the morning.
Tonsillitis – This is a common throat infection when the tonsils become infected.
Strep – Symptoms are fever, red or white spots on the tonsils.
It is wise to nip a sore throat in the bud before it becomes more serious. Here are some popular and classic sore throat remedies you can try:
1. At the first sign of infection, gargle with hydrogen peroxide and water.
2. Take dietary supplements and many doctors recommend papaya enzymes as a natural remedy, as papaya is rich in vitamin C and a powerful antioxidant. They help in stuffy sinuses, swollen throat, and if your inflamed tonsil doesn’t clear up even with antibiotics, the papaya tablet can shrink the tonsil. You can also have a drink of papaya juice and keep it in your mouth for about 10 minutes.
3. Drink lots of water: hot drinks to help the throat heal and also ice cold drinks to relieve pain. In fact, it is better to drink both. Regardless of what sore throat remedies you are using, this is a must have remedy.
4. Make yourself an anise and mint tea. as it is an extremely good remedy. Take 1 teaspoon of dried anise and mint for each cup of boiling water, let it steep for 10 minutes, strain and sweeten. You can drink it warm as many times as you like.
5. If you have swollen tonsils, put a handful of sage in 2 cups of water. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Use a flannel cloth and dip in the liquid and place the sage leaves on the flannel and wrap it around your throat. Use another flannel cloth and dip it in the liquid and wrap it around your throat, this is to keep the warmth of the first flannel cloth, and repeat this second step when cool. While you’re at it, relax and brew yourself a sage tea infusion.
6. Suck on throat lozenges to relieve pain and keep your throat moist.
7. A popular and classic remedy for a sore throat is getting enough rest and sleep and is definitely recommended by your doctor.
8. You can also select a handful of selected herbs in a bowl of hot water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the aroma of the herbs for 5 to 10 minutes. The herbs you can try are eucalyptus, basil, hyssop, lavender, cayenne pepper, cinnamon sticks, thyme, sage, and rosemary. All of these herbs have a detoxifying effect.
9. Gargle with an infusion of sage and thyme, as using these two herbs together forms a powerful combination for treating a sore throat and ticklish cough.
It’s always too tempting to look for over-the-counter medications to relieve our sore throat, but give your body a break by trying some of the safe and natural sore throat remedies listed above and avoid the unwanted side effects of pharmaceutical medications.